“New Name, New Mission, New Vision–
‘Where people will bring their guests to—FIRST!’”
We are pleased to report that The Museums’ Strategic Planning has made wonderful progress. The process started when we determined that the current Institutional Plan has come to its end. It was also time for us to take a look at each of the facilities, assess our opportunities and challenges, establish a vision of where we want to be as an institution and then lay out a road map of how to get there.
Through focus groups, interviews and surveys, we engaged our members, friends and community asking them what they perceived as our strengths and weaknesses. We also wanted to learn what people wanted in a museum. Through studies conducted in cooperation with Colorado Mesa University, we also learned more about our visitors’ habits and wants. All along, we have also been researching several opportunities that are before The Museums.
With this information in hand, the board and staff went into a series of intense planning sessions. The goal was to establish a strategic framework that provided a foundation for future planning. We reassessed our goals, mission, promises we make to the community and even looked at the institution’s name. The intent was to create a vision to work towards and the overall objectives of how to get there.
Name: The group wanted to clarify to the community that we encompass more than one facility and one story. We wanted to acknowledge that our community’s heritage is larger than just one building. Instead of the singular “The Museum” we are now the using the plural “The Museums” — a small change with a big meaning.
The Museums of Western Colorado
Mission: The group wanted a simplified mission statement that demonstrated The Museums’ desire to work closer with the community in enhancing our strong preservation and program tradition.
Through strong stewardship and relevant programming, the Museums of Western Colorado strive to inspire the community to preserve its heritage and tell its story.
Promises, Goals and Vision: The group then thought hard on what promises The Museums will provide to the community and visiting public. Out of these promises they derived the overall goals the museum will work towards and the vision of what the museum will look like in the future.
• In the area of Preservation – “ Stewardship”
• In the area of Education – “Relevance”
• In the area of Engagement—“Inspiration”
• In the area of Entertainment—“Enjoyment”
• In the area of Trusted Expertise—“Quality”
• Develop staff, volunteers and partnerships to deliver on the MWC Promises.
• Create the right facilities at the right locations to fulfill the MWC Mission.
• Build the financial strength of MWC to control our own destiny.
• Establish a strong and recognizable brand.
MWC Vision: By 2020…
• The MWC will have sustained, reliable and diversified funding; will be sustainable; and will be able to invest in itself.
• The MWC will be strongly engaged in the community as exemplified by having effective strategic public and private partnerships.
• The MWC will present maintained, technologically up-to-date, safe, “green” and quality facilities that are right-sized for fulfillment of the Mission and Promises.
• The MWC will have a strong and effective staff, volunteers and board that will enable the Museums to fulfill its Mission and Promises.
• The MWC will have the capacity (with its facilities and human resources) to proactively address challenges and take advantage of appropriate opportunities.
• The MWC will continue to increase visitation and have high levels of returned participation
• The MWC will have a strong recognizable brand as a heritage leader in our community.
• The MWC will be re-accredited by AAM for the 5th time.
• The MWC will be that place visitors bring their guests to—FIRST!
Objectives: To reach the vision, the group highlighted some specific objectives we need to address in order to move forward.
• Branding, Marketing and Communications
• Exhibitions and Education
• Effective Business Plan
• Human Resources
• Community Engagement
• Evaluation and Re-Accreditation
• Growth Planning
The staff is now developing the “Work Plans” that are laying out the specifics on how we will fulfill our promises, reach our goals and make our vision a reality. These “Work Plans” will be renewed annually, thus ensuring that this is a living document.
Thank you for your assistance in this process. As we near the end of the project, we feel strong that “The Museums” will be that place people will want to bring their guest to — FIRST!